Blogger Backgrounds

Sunday, November 27, 2011

You Put the Rum With the Coconut... Mix It All Together!

Not sure if anyone is as much of a coconut fan as I am, but I could definitely eat it with every meal of my day for a week straight and not get bored.  My grandmother always did a lot more baking during the Christmas season and Rum Balls have always been at the top of my list.  Apparently they were quite popular duing the 50s. 

Well, turns out they've been around a lot longer than 60 years - they date back to the Colonial times.  So as promised, I am trying out recipes from different centuries, as well as decades.  Those Colonists really knew what they were doing with the chocolate, rum, and coconut.  These were super easy to make and I brought them to my husband's family on Thanksgiving.  His aunt and I almost ate the whole plate.  Hope you and your loved ones enjoy them as much as I did!

We always went to Williamsburg, Virginia (which for those of you with children I strongly recommend! And Busch Gardens is a lot of fun too!) as kids and my mom happened to buy this book one year.  A few years ago I made a punch out of it for my sister's baby shower and it's been in my possession ever since.  ;)  It really has some pretty good recipes in it!  Anyway, I'm typing it below according to what I did, but you can find the original at the bottom.


TIPSY COCONUT SNOWBALL TRUFFLES
*  1 lb semisweet chocolate
*  1/2 cup heavy cream
*  4 tbs (1/2 stick) butter
*  1 cup finely ground PLAIN chocolate cookies
*  1/3 cup dark or golden rum  (I used Captain Morgan)
*  1 1/2 cup grated, toasted coconut
*  1/2 cup confectioners sugar (I found this to be optional.  They're very rich and sweet as it is and I didn't add it, but if you use a dark or bitter chocolate it might be needed)

Finely chop cookies similar to how you would an onion.  I had a heaping cup of chopped cookie and it worked out great.  Set aside.




Melt chocolate in a medium sized bowl over barely simmering water (double boiler).  In a separate saucepan warm the heavy cream over medium-high heat.  Add to melted chocolate.  Next add the butter to the chocolate mixture and mix until smooth.  Remove from heat.  Mix in cookie crumbs and rum.  Transfer to a small baking dish.


Refrigerate for 2-3 hours or until mixture is firm.


Scoop out the truffle mixture with a melon baller, occasionally dipped into hot water, and form into balls.  Roll truffles in coconut and store the truffles in any remaining coconut.  Allow the truffles to set in a cool place for at least 2 hours. (I did it overnight and they were a good texture).  I found it made around 40 truffles, but I might have made them a little bigger.  Supposed to make 50 of them.  Enjoy!



Here is the original recipe from the book.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much! Hope you have a wonderful day! :)