Blogger Backgrounds

Wednesday, December 28, 2011

"Pound" Cake... Or a little more!

Long time, no talk!  It's been a few weeks since my last post and before I share my next retro recipe, I thought I'd show you all a glimpse into our Christmas Season 2011...

On December 9, Mike and I celebrated our 5 year anniversary by spending a few days in Punta Cana.  It was an amazing few days and we couldn't have asked for a better vacation of just relaxing and spending time together.  Here is a picture of Michael by the pool:


When we came home, we had a Christmas party at the firm where Mike works.  There were lots of people, dancing, and we had a great time spent with friends.  Here we are at the party:


A few days later we had Mike's birthday and then a few days later it was Christmas.  Here is our photo we used on our Christmas cards this year:


So, all in all it was a hectic (there were a few bumpy surprises over the past few weeks, but luckily they all worked out), but wonderful Christmas season spent with our friends and families.  Couldn't have asked for more!

And now on to my retro recipes - I have plenty to share, but for this post I am going to share one of my favorite recipes ever that my family has always had on Christmas Eve.  There are many traditions in my family for Christmas Eve dinner, such as the Feast of the Seven Fishes (We're Italian), but this retro recipe is always the perfect ending an amazing meal.  It's for this reason I don't have a book to share this cake's origin, but I can definitely tell you it's been tried and true.

Starting in the 1950's my grandmother made it for my dad and my uncles when they were little, and then my mom made it for us, and now I make it!  It's a 12 Egg Pound Cake.  Sounds intimidating, I know...  Thats why we only have it once a year!  However, it can be made any time during the year.  I know some people put a glaze or powdered sugar on their poundcakes, but honestly this can be served on it's own or with some fruit on the side.  The next morning it can be thinly sliced and very lightly toasted (or not) for breakfast. 

12 EGG POUND CAKE
4  1/2 sticks of butter, softened
*  12 eggs
*  3 tsp vanilla
*  1 tsp of orange, lemon, or anise extract (I prefer and always use the orange, but the other two work well too)
*  3  1/2 cups of flour
*  1 lb powdered sugar

Makes one pound cake.  Use a greased large tube pan (on lower rack in oven place a cookie sheet with a layer of tin foil just in case there is any leakage from the cake.).  Set oven to 350 degrees. 

Use six small bowls or cups and crack the eggs, two at a time in each.  This will make this recipe infinitely easier later.


Cream butter.


Add eggs, two at a time, while beating.


Add vanilla and extract, while beating.  Then spoon in flour and sugar, alternating each one, while beating.  Pour batter into tube pan.  Try to make sure it's as level as possible.  Put in the oven for an hour and half.


Let cool in pan for five minutes and then cool on cooling rack.  Cut into slices.  Serve and enjoy!



Hoping you all had a very Merry Christmas and that the rest of the season and New Year is just as fabulous!  Happy 2012!
















2 comments:

  1. Lindy, I'm going to try this cake just to see what a 12 egg pound cake is like, not to mention adding powder sugar... I can only imagine how great it'll be with all that butter !!! I'll let you know how it turned out later this week !!! 😁

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lindy, I'm going to try this cake just to see what a 12 egg pound cake is like, not to mention adding powder sugar... I can only imagine how great it'll be with all that butter !!! I'll let you know how it turned out later this week !!! 😁

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much! Hope you have a wonderful day! :)