Blogger Backgrounds

Friday, December 30, 2011

You're a mean (sweet "cookie") one... Mr. Grinch!

I have always loved the Christmas season. I love it so much that when my husband and I got married, it was a Christmas themed wedding.  I absolutely loved it - we had Christmas themed invitations with a bride and groom, we had wreaths sent in from Maine for centerpieces, the church was decorated with pointsettas and a nativity, the bridesmaids looked great in red halter dresses with rhinestones, and I had a faux fur white coat to go over my dress in between the ceremony and reception (it was absolutely freezing that day and I had a strapless dress.).

In addition to our anniversary, my birthday and Mike's birthday are also in December.  So, I guess you could say this is probably the busiest, but definitely one of the most celebrated, festive, and exciting time of year for us.  I know the Christmas season doesn't techinically end until January 6, but slowly but surely things are calming down (although the traffic for the malls hasn't - thats definitely something I could do without!) and a new year will be here in less than two days. 

So for those of you who want to hang on to some holiday cheer just a little longer, here are some Grinch cookies I made a few weeks ago.  I had a Grinch party with two of my nieces and baked these cookies for them while we watched How the Grinch Stole Christmas.  The recipe actually came from Pinterest (and I think ultimately from a Betty Crocker recipe), and although it's not a retro recipe, these cookies are honestly so ridiculously easy to make, look great, and taste amazing.  Everyone from my nieces, my husband, my sister and brother-in-law, and my parents were fighting over who got to eat the last ones.  Also, the Grinch is a retro movie, so I guess it still counts.  :)


Anyway, now the Grinch cookie recipe.  I found this recipe on Pinterest, if you look under my new and exciting recipes board you'll find the link to where I got the recipe from.  I followed the recipe exactly except for the very end - it called for 8-10 minutes in the oven.  I found that 10-12 would be better.

GRINCH COOKIES
1 pouch (1lb 15oz) Betty Crocker sugar cookie mix
*  1/2 cup butter or margarine, softened
*  1/4 - 1/2 mint  tsp extract
*  8 drops food coloring (you can add a bit more if you want a really green cookie)
*  1 egg
*  1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chunks
*  1 cup creme de menth baking chips (I found it impossible to find actual chips, so I got Andes Creme de Menthe Thins and made them into chips myself.)


Makes approximately 34-38 cookies.  Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper and lightly grease.  Set oven to 350 F.

Break the Andes chocolates into little chips and until you have a cup worth.


In large mixing bowl stir cookie mix, butter, extract, food coloring, and egg until a soft dough forms.




Stir in Andes chocolates and semi-sweet chocolate chunks. 



Using a small cookie scoop or a teaspoon, drop dough 2 inches apart on cookie sheet.


Bake 10-12 minutes or until set.  Cool 3 minutes and move to wire rack.


Serve warm (they're extra delicious that way) or cool completely (still pretty delicious!).  Store tightly covered at room temperature.  Enjoy!!






No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much! Hope you have a wonderful day! :)