Blogger Backgrounds

Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Ricotta Cream Puffs... YUM!

Anyone ever try making cream puffs?  I tried a few years ago when Mike and I first got married.  Well, it was an absolute disaster.  They were gigantic and a complete mess to eat and clean up after.  I know I am a good baker, but I couldn't figure out what I did wrong.  So I just stayed away from them for a while.  Well, I finally got brave (sort of) a few weeks ago and asked my grandmother for some supervision while I made ricotta cream puffs - I figured she'd let me know if I was doing something wrong.  They came out amazing and I've made them twice since - now I've got it down to a science and have them done in no time!  Still have no idea what I did wrong with the ones a few years ago, but these are pretty easy and taste fabulous. 

These ricotta cream puffs come from the Poll-O Ricotta & Mozzarella cookbook from the 1950s that I mentioned last week.  I absolutely love this book and so excited that I found this recipe.  The ingredients are pretty few and most of them are ones that are typically on hand.  You may find you have some extra filling after you fill them - I made cookie sandwiches with chocolate chip cookies and plain chocolate cookies.  They too were a big hit!

P.S. - I did a few changes while making these cream puffs after the first round that just made them taste and look slightly better.  However, as usual the original is at the bottom of the blog incase you want to try that one.  :)


PUFFS:
*  1/2 cup shortening
*  1 cup water
*  1  1/2 cups flour
*  dash of salt (or slighty less than 1/8 teaspoon)
*  4 eggs

Set oven to 350 degrees.  Makes 16-20 puffs.  Line 2 cookie sheets or shallow pans with parchement paper, lightly greased.



RICOTTA FILLING:
*  1 lb drained ricotta
*  2 squares finely grated milk chocolate (you can add another square or two more if you like a richer taste)
*  1 teaspoon almond or vanilla extract  (both work equally as well)
*  1 tbs grated citron (optional - some people either love it or hate.  I skipped on it because my husband isn't a huge fan)
*  3 tbs milk

Makes enough to fill 16-20 puffs and a little extra.


PUFFS:  Place shortening, water, and salt in a sauce pan and bring to a boil.



Add flour and mix well.  Cook two minutes, stirring constantly.  Put in mixing bowl and allow to cool.  (Immediately move pan into sink and let soak in soapy water.) 


Add eggs one at a time, beating after each egg is added with a hand mixer on medium-low.  Beat for another five minutes.  Drop by tablespoon pan or cookie sheet.  Round the bottom edges with your fingers to make the middle of the puff bigger.  You want the center bigger than the edges because this will make them easier to fill. 

Bake in oven for 30 minutes.  Remove to cooling rack.


When cool slit top with a sharp pointed knife.  Remove dough inside without cracking the outside. 


Fill with ricotta filling.  Cover with top outside piece of puff.




RICOTTA PUDDING:  Blend all ingredients thoroughly.  If necessary add milk sparingly to achieve custard like mixture.  Cool until ready for use.


Enjoy!



Original recipe:


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much! Hope you have a wonderful day! :)